Thursday, August 18, 2011

The move: East to West Coast of Ireland and USA

So Dublin was a lot of fun.  We went to Malahide about 30 minutes from Dublin with Hugh, Tarah's sister's friend from Spain who is Irish, and we met his friends and family who were extremely nice and generous.  We watched the Hurling game of Dublin vs. Tipperary which was a really intense game!  I had never heard of hurling before but it seems to me like a mashup of all the best sports: american football, lacrosse, soccer/football, rugby... great fun!  We were told that Dublin hadn't made it so close to the finals in over 40 years so this was very exciting for the locals and jerseys were being sported all over town. 
We had the best fish and chips ever and I discovered my new favorite way to eat french fries- with salt and vinegar- so savory!  
We went out only once to the bars in Dublin but there was a lot of great things to see and people about at night.  We missed Weylan's Pub where the adorable movie P.S. I Love You was filmed so that's on the ol' bucket list now for when I come back... ;).
We sent Jamee off at 3am to the airport to go back home Wednesday after doing our final day of touristy sites and gift-buying (everything still fits!).  We then made our way the next afternoon to Kerry County to Ballybunion on the West coast- where Jedward performed only a week before our arrival.  We heard that they were a teen Irish singing duo that was not spectacular at singing.
Tarah's cousin Jackie, two or three times removed I think was gracious enough to let us stay at his B&B and Pub on the main drag.  Our first night we poured our own drinks then got stuck behind the bar bartending the whole rest of the night!  This night was the same night that the Irish secondary students (our high schoolers) get their exams back (like our SAT) so its a very big night to celebrate or mope and therefore Alcohol (can drink at 18 years old here if you were surprised for a second). We got fabulous tips and had some really great company, including a couple honeymooning and some rowdy Americans on a golf trip.
Today we are very tired from closing up the bar at 0130.  We plan on going to the seaweed hot baths at the beach here where 'the Iodine in the seaweed really relaxes you' but now we are taking a warm-up nap.  Well, I'm being dutiful and sticking to my blog until the end... TOMORROW!  We leave at 7am to the Airport about 2  hours away for our 11am flight to JFK together.  Then Tarah and I split up to go to our respective California airports and I have a huge layover in JFK of 5 hours! Yuck!  Maybe I'll buy a paper and have some good old American coffee again.
I can't wait to be home but I feel the same way as I do away at college sometimes- that I've left some sort of time warp and that everything stopped while I was away but it hasn't! So I'll have lots of catching up to do with all of you while you look at all my photographs! :)  As they say in Ireland, "Cheers!"  and I'll be seeing you all real soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment